Re: [IP] Letter from the FMCSA??

 I'm confused. What exemptions are they giving to type 1 diabetics. I don't get
it. ????

 George <email @ redacted> wrote:Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your
tax deductible contributions.

I received a letter today from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety
Administration. I believe that one of our members had asked for us
to comment to the government about making some exceptions for insulin
dependent commercial vehicle drivers. Here is their response:

Thank you for your comment to our docket concerning the proposal on
the operation of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) by persons with
insulin-treated diabetes mellitus (Docket FMCSA 2001 9800). Your
comments were given careful consideration and helped us arrive at a
decision to initiate an exemption program for insulin-treated
commercial drivers. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
(FMCSA) published a notice in the Federal Register today announcing
its decision to issue exemptions to certain insulin-treated diabetic
drivers in interstate commerce. FMCSA will, however, leave the
docket (FMCSA-2001-9800) open for comments on potential changes to
the specific conditions for the exemption program. We are
particularly interested in further information and data that may
allow adjustment of the 3-year experience threshold. FMCSA is also
seeking information on which types of interstate motor carrier
operations may be most (or least) conducive to the driver's required
monitoring of his or her medical condition. Comments should be
submitted to the docket in an expeditiously manner as possible.

FMCSA will grant exemptions only to those applicants who meet the
specific conditions and comply with all the requirement of the
exemption. The agencyh will accept requests for diabetic exemptions
beginning September 22. Exemptions will be valid for 2 years unless
revoked by GMCSA and the agency may renew exemptions at the end of
the 2-year period under procedures in effect at that time. Requests
fo rexemptions should be sent to FMCSA Diabetes Exemption Program,
400 Seventh Street SW, Washington DC 20590.

So will you be riding with your hugsband now Jan? ;>)

Do you Yahoo!?