Re: [IP] MiniMed Admitted Screw-Up

At 07:01 PM 9/5/03, Tina wrote:
>This story about the H-Tron+ actually reminded me of what they claimed
>was the reason for not being water tight anymore: same as MM is saying
>now. they get very small (hairline) fractures when they fall down and
>that is how water gets in the pump. From my (limited) understanding that
>can happen to every pump (unless you use some "unbreakable" material).
>maybe the expectations are just to high about these things. I get the
>problem when kids have a pump because they are probably not as careful as
>adults. but I really don't think it is such a big deal to go swimming
>without the pump (also solves the problem where to wear it;)...

I must make a comment here.  My first H-Tron+ developed hairline cracks
around the bolus buttons.  I did not drop it nor did it "fall down".  The
hairline cracks I had were not severe enough to allow water in, but
Disetronic replaced it anyway.  I don't know what caused the hairline
cracks, and Disetronic was surprised when I told them where the cracks
were.  A lot of times they end up around the batteries due to over
tightening the batteries, not dropping the pump.