Re: [IP] gym teachers

 Although from a very technical standpoint, this gym teacher is not correct...he
is actually more RIGHT than wrong.  Remember that Juvenile Diabetes is no
longer the accept term because it implies diabetes that you get as a Juvenile.

Today, they are finding a dramatic rise in the number of cases of Type 2
diabetes among juveniles.  It is becoming epidemic.  I think that schools are
instructed to push fitness as a preventative measure in this regard.  The
 problem was that this gym teacher used an out-dated term (juvenile diabetes) to
tell a FACT...that people who are not fit, overweight, and don't eat right can
IN FACT develop Type 2 diabetes even as a juvenile.

Furthermore, his desire to know who has asthma and diabetes is likely for
health/safety reasons.  He is responsible for the kids, and if one of his
students starts to have breathing problems or starts "acting funny" due to low
blood sugar, he needs to know that in order to handle it appropriately.  Both
asthma and diabetes will affect gym teachers more than any other teacher
because both can have problems caused by activity.

Now, it very well COULD be that he is out of touch...but I would give him the
benefit of the doubt at this point, and merely correct his misconceptions.
After all, I know a lot of DIABETICS who don't understand the difference
between Type 1 and Type 2, let alone teachers, friends, family, nurses,
doctors, etc.  :-)

Now, your daughter's bigger issue is likely the fellow students.  Some
 education might need to take place there, and you might talk to the gym teacher
and request that he clarify his comments to say that not all cases of diabetes
are the result of not being fit, etc.  (And, if he doesn't know this, then it
is a good way to teach him, gently.)