From: Kress Family
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 11:48 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: Total Daily Doses

Becca posted:

>>The reason for the denial from Medicare/Medicaide was that even
>>though my C-Peptide came out NEGATIVE everything else blood work up
>>wise came back as type 2 (according to both insurances)...a
>>C-Peptide is the TRUE deffinition of
how much "NATURAL" insulin you make, not the other lab values>>

While the C-peptide does measure how much insulin a person produces,
it doesn't confirm whether you have Type 1 or Type 2.  Many Type 2's
produce little to no insulin, mostly long-termers.  There is an
anti-body test that more accurately differentiates between the two
types.  Here is a definition of C-peptide test from Medline Plus:

C-peptide is measured to differentiate endogenous (produced by the
body) from exogenous (injected into the body) insulin production.
When insulin is initially synthesized by the beta cells of the
pancreas, it is produced as a large molecule (propeptide). This
molecule is then cleaved at 2. The intermediate segment (C-peptide)
is released at the same time insulin is released but
has no known function.

The C-peptide level may be measured in a patient with type II
diabetes mellitus to see if any insulin is still being produced
endogenously. It may also be measured in the evaluation of
hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to see if too much insulin is being
produced by the patient.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah