RE: [IP] gym teachers

It sounds as if the gym teacher needs a few basic lessons concerning
diabetes....probably asthma too from the sounds of it. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Deborah
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 1:36 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] gym teachers

Eves (16) first day of high school was on Tuesday. She has gym the first
hour. One of the gym teachers (not hers) was talking about the benefits of
staying fit and what can happen if you dont stay fit. He went on to say
that people who are not fit, overweight and dont eat right get JUVENILE
DIABETES. What??? This is a new one to me. I thought that type 1 or JUVENILE
diabetes was the bodys immune system destroying the insulin producing
cells. I thought it had nothing to do with being fit or not. The following I
found on the CDC web site.

   Type 1 diabetes was previously called insulin-dependent diabetes
mellitus (IDDM) or   juvenile-onset diabetes. Type 1 diabetes develops when
the bodys immune system   destroys pancreatic beta cells, the only cells in
the body that make the hormone insulin that regulates blood glucose. This
form of diabetes usually strikes children and young adults, who need several
insulin injections a day or an insulin pump to survive. Type 1 diabetes may
account for 5% to 10% of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Risk factors for
type 1 diabetes include autoimmune, genetic, and environmental factors.

 The gym teacher than went on to say how he want those students who have
diabetes and asthma to meet with their gym teachers so that the gym teacher
can put a name to a face. Well, after what that teacher said about diabetes,
Eve is not willing to tell her gym teacher about her diabetes.

At least once a year a gym or health teacher says some thing like this or
just says you get diabetes for being overweight and not exercising. These
people are supposed to know better. Then of course Eve hears from someone at
school she has diabetes because she wasnt fit. This tears my heart out to
have her hears things like this.

At this point I dont know whom I can contact at this school.

Deborah, mom to Eve

Dx 5/96 pumping 5/99