[IP] plasma/serum vs. whole blood

In a message dated 9/3/2003 5:39:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
FYI,   Most all reference labs use serum for glucose testing, it is then
calculated to plasma (which is more or less an agreed on standard)
Your meter test whole blood and calculates to plasma. :)
Just wanted to pipe in here as a lab tech...we use either plasma or serum for
glucose testing. Plasma comes from tubes that have an anticoagulant added ,
serum comes from tubes that do not and the blood clots -- either way, we
 centrifuge the blood and test plasma or serum the same way. Serum/plasma
values are higher than whole blood readings...I forget what the percent
 difference is. Most meters now do the math to calculate approximately what the
value would be.