[IP] therasense

danny writes:
> The BG rise problem may be caused by your meter responding to
> vitamin C.Freestyle apparently is not affected and there may be other
> meters as well.....You can count on FreeStyle for accuracy:
> Plasma-calibrated lab-like results
> Minimal interference from substances in the blood such as vitamin C or
> acetaminophen, that often interfere with other systems

I dunno about vitamin c and acetaminophen, but since interstitial fluid is
inherently UNRELIABLE to use in gauging glucose levels, unless the blood sugar
levels are STABLE, I can not see how Therasense gets away in saying "you can
count on us for accuracy."  Capillary blood, such as that in the fingertips
 provides a much more accurate, consistent reading (even if you take into
the ACCEPTABLE 18-20% variation).  The blood in your arm is mixed with the
 interstitial fluid and can therefore be even less accurate....the very nature
diabetes is that our blood sugar "tends" to go up and down.....and if you are
on the way one direction or the other, as most people usually are except
 perhaps Perfect Patty <vbg> do you really want to trust interstitail fluid in
your insulin calculations?

My story:  I tested on my arm as I was leaving work with the Freestyle.  I
was 350...no WAY did I feel that high, but since i was on my way home, I went
ahead and covered with 2 units of insulin which would bring me down about a
 50-75 points in time it would take me to get home, and another 50 points at the
 end of two hours, a respectable drop in that time frame that would keep me from
rebounding later.  I also took into account that it could be off by that
 ACCEPTABLE variance of 20% and perhaps my blood sugar was really only 280...in
event, not a huge amount of insulin.  By the time I got to my subway stop, 30
minutes later, I felt so low, i had to sit in that stinky place and eat dex
tabs for 10 minutes....I tested then with the freestyle again on my arm...it
said 175...NOT a chance... I staggered home and got my rusty but trusty
 Profile....even after eating a tube of dex tabs, and having ONLY taken 2 units
which in
2 hours will only bring me down about 100-130 points....I was 45....so
OBVIOUSLY that the 350 an hour earlier had been WAY freaking wrong..

As my blood sugar started to rise, I was on the phone with therasense....they
walked me through all the tests, made all the accusations that i had improper
technique - blah blah blah...the fact of the matter was, the blood on my arm
was simply NOT reading even CLOSE to the blood in my fingers.  the blood in my
fingers was reflective of the way I FELT....and the interstitial fluid in my
arm was not....

Suffice it to say, I don't use, nor do I recommend the freestyle.. Of course
YMMV and you are free to have your own opposing opinion, but interstitial
fluid IS more volatile than capillary blood

as for the "lab-like" readings...oh phoooey, except for the profile, ALL
meters do that now...it is not actually giving you a plasma reading..the meter
does  a little math calculation and adds or subtracts (can't remember which)
about 12% to make it LOOK like the numbers you would get from a lab.....