I'm confused isn't one of the many reasons for the pump , to do away
with the MDI ???
I can see using a syringe if your pump is messed up, set has clogged up
etc and no way to fix it.
I've just received my  Paradigm 45 mins ago.  It is a lot smaller than I
thought.   I stop my Lantus tomorrow and use the Novolog Pen till
Thursday afternoon..  Can't wait :)