[IP] Ketones vs Ketoacidosis

> snip <
> anytime that you steadily lose weight your body will
> produce ketones that are detectable. Ketones are
> produce if I remember right from the burning of
> fat. These ketones are different then those produced
> during DKA but in both ketones are produced which
> hurt the body no mater how high they are for there
> should be no ketones in your body to be a healthy
> individual.

Dr. Atkins and other low carb advocates would not agree that all ketones are
bad, but rather a normal part of the Krebs cycle, e.g. metabolism

Synopsis from an eMedicine article:

Ketones are a natural fuel source for the brain and body. Ketones are used
when carbohydrate stores within the body are depleted, resulting in burning
fat for energy instead of glucose. Ketosis is safe in healthy individuals;
however, there are many metabolic abnormalities that produce excess ketones in
the blood. Benign ketosis as experienced on a controlled carbohydrate intake
should not to be confused with ketoacidosis, an elevation in the acidity of
blood, associated with specific disease conditions as noted above.