[IP] Re: south beach diet

I did try the South Beach Diet briefly and I think I would have lost weight
but was having trouble with calculating insulin with an all protein/fat
meal - I assumed I would not need  insulin and my BG would still go up.
Also had some lows and then would need to eat carbs so overall did not lose
much.  Since I wanted to be more stable before my cataract surgery, I
decided to focus on that.  Also hated to give up summer fruit and corn on
the cob for the initial phase where minimal carbs are allowed.   I think I
will try again in a few weeks.  Now that my basal rates are more stable, I
think I will start with a small protein only meal and see what happens.

I think the idea of eating good fats (low in saturated fat) and good carbs
(low glycemic index) is good.  Although I figure for a type 1, we don't have
to worry about too much insulin responding to a  high glycemic carb food
unless we enter the wrong number on our pumps!

Age 45, Type 1 dx 09/19/1973, pumping 4 years
and daughter Melinda, Type 1 - age 19 dx 11/04/2002, MDI