[IP] Re: 504 and university housing, etc.

essentially told me that they would "treat him like all our other
students...or at least like those on medications".

##this is the responsibility of the student affairs or student disability office, they'll
distribute the needed info to whatever administrative offices need it.##

 I had told her I was
worried about college drinking. My son has never done this to excess,
you never know what kids will do.
 ##it depends on the person and her parents-- MY parents have a pretty good idea what this kid
will and will not do. my first priorities as a diabetic student are my grades and my health. if
your son has issues with either of these, it's time he gave some serious thought to what college
is for. i still have lots of fun here, which includes alcohol, but i never lose sight of the fact
that i'm paying umpteen thousand dollars a year for a reason and that reason is not so that i can
waste either my money or my time. i am a 5th-year senior and twenty-one, and i am assuming that
your son is eighteenish and a freshman, but that doesn't mean that he can't take responsibility
for his actions starting now. you never know what kids will do, but being a college student means
that in many ways he's no longer a kid.

 She then began to talk about "your
drinking", as if he were a recovering alcoholic, at any moment due to
off the wagon and rob a liquor store. At the bottom, the threat to
force him
to live off campus.
unfortunately, school officials DO have to deal with a lot of student drinking problems, they've
seen just about everything there is to see, and so they automatically will assume the worst (on
that note, good thing your kid's not a girl, i am tired of going to the health center for sprained
ankles and sinus infections and being asked over and over whether i am pregnant!!). again, the
responsibility lies with your son to make sure that he doesn't become one of their statistics. as
a parent, there's only so much that you can do-- and the less that you do (with this, the more
that *he* does) the better.

Also, she kept saying "this is not our job", followed by, "your son
confide in his room mate"...implying, I guess, that it IS the room
she's right, it's really *not* their job to manage his diabetes, keep up his grades, and make
responsible choices. there are students who do not do this and who fall through the cracks, and it
is not the job of the administration to ensure that this doesn't happen to your son-- it's *his*
job, and i hope he's aware of that. what *is* their job is to provide him with the information he
needs to make the right choices and to empower him so that when he makes choices, those choices
are effective.

the roommate suggestion may or may not be a good thing. my roommate is my best friend, and her
mother happens to be a T1 diabetic. so we are all over the diabetes information superhighway, and
she knows what do to if i am low, high, or sick. we get along great, and i can tell her pretty
much anything. she's helped me do my shots just for the fun of it; she's fed me pop tarts when i
was too shaky to get food, held back my hair when i threw up from ketoacidosis, and driven me in
my own car to the ER (on the same occasion). she's the best roomie anyone could ever ask for, but
not everyone gets a gem like her. it's not your roommate's job to take care of your son either; i
just happen to be blessed with an extraordinary roommate and i hope he finds someone like her. if
he doesn't, he needs to get in touch with the student health center and find a doc or nurse who
can familiarize herself with his illness, personality, emotional issues, and situation-- better
yer, get in touch with the office of disabililty services (ODS), or student affairs (OSA), as they
don't have the added burden of caring for every college student's sprained ankle and sinus

also be aware that if your son is over 18, the university *will not* share *any*  of your son's
personal information (including health info) with you unless he directs them to, and then they
will only divulge the info that he delineates. don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. i'd
rather have to sign a million forms letting my parents know what they need to know than have it be
legal for one adult's health records be available without his consent to any other adult.

again, i hope that this all works out for you; feel free to email me with any questions you have
on life as a diabetic college student, i feel as if i could write a book on the subject.

Do you Yahoo!?