Re: [IP] Is D really that bad?

This message brought to mind something that I heard a long time ago and
found on the web.   Some may not like some of the words in it - to that all
I can say is take what you like and leave the rest.

Jim S.

At 11:10 AM 09/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>I am really amazed at all the controversy created. The point in my initial
>response is that I have controlled (to the extreme) my type 1 D since
>diagnosis in 1974. An extraordinary athlete, and very positive. There are
>times however, when everything starts to snowball and grow to a point where
>it is very difficult to handle. My HA1C's are in the great range, I exercise,
>take vitamins, and do everything by the book. What needs to be understood
>here is that this is the disease where you do everything right, and it van
>still be wrong. I am the classic case of this.

>I am in general an optimist. There are times when you need to express your
>feelings and not be judged just to help you through the down periods.

The poem, slightly modified follows:

                         COULD YOU JUST LISTEN?

When I ask you to listen to me and you start giving me advice, you have not
done what I asked.

When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me why I shouldn't
feel the way I do, you are trampling on my feelings.

When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do something to
solve my problem, you have failed me, strange as that may seem.

LISTEN! All I asked was that you listen, not to talk or do, just hear me!

Advice is cheap, 35 cents will get me both Dear Abby and Billy Graham in
the same newspaper.

I can do for myself, I am not helpless maybe discouraged and faltering, but
not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself, you
contribute to my fear and inadequacy.

But when you accept as a simple fact that I do feel what I feel, no matter
how irrational, then I can quit trying to convince you and get on about the
business of understanding what's behind my irrational feeling. When that's
clear, the answers are obvious and I don't need advice.

Irrational feelings make more sense when we understand what's behind them.

Perhaps that's why Prayer works, sometimes, for some people, because X is
mute, and doesn't give advice and try to fix things. X just listens!

I already know the Spiritual Truth that the solution to all my problems
lies within.

So, if I do hear X, it is a still, small voice from within myself, which,
if I will but listen to it, gives me the answers that I am seeking.

Please just listen and hear me.

And if you want to talk, wait a minute for your turn and I'll listen to you.

Jim S.