[IP] ACE Inhibitors

Question for the group:

My endo won't put me on an ACE Inhibitor. I have had diabetes 14 years as of
November 1 (2002) and have no complications. My mom, who is involved in
research for D,  says that even though I don't have complications I really
should be on some sort of ACE Inhibitor. My endo says that it is not
necessary, but my mom says that research points out that it is an effective
procautionary measure. How can I convice my endo???