[IP] Link with Diabetes and Depression

We have talked before briefly about how there is a link between Diabetes and Depression. I actually
didn't know this until it was mentioned on the list and my psychiatrist also said so when I finally
got up the courage to seek treatment in March.
My question is--does anyone have an explanation for WHY there is a link? I know we tend to  have more
thyroid problems and other health problems, but why depression? And I don't think it is the day to day
hassle of living with Diabetes, because I am speaking of clinical depression, not "I am a tad sad
today."  Why would diabetes change my brain chemistry?? Is that what it is?
I have had problems with depression for most of my life. There have been times when I have seemed to
pull myself out of it, then there have been years when I have been in denial and mostly miserable. Now
I am seeing a doctor and taking Paxil and feeling pretty darn good.
But my question--any one know WHY we seem to be depressed? Anyone got stats or insights??

Sherry C
>From the massive city of Bowling Green KY
Who seems to capitalize D and then not capitalize at random