Re: [IP] RE: breastfeeding and diabetes

Your story is uplifting. Too many people think what
the hospital and doctors say is the last word. Your
perseverance is great. I've moved a lot and have had 8
different endo and they have all approached diabetes
differently. I find medicine is as much as an art as
it is a science. lucky little boy to have you as his
mother. meg
--- Bridget Roe <email @ redacted> wrote:
> To all who were discussing the breastfeeding,
>  My story is a little different, but I wanted to
> share it with you.  When my
> son was born, I planned to breastfeed him.  After
> his diagnosis with
> diabetes that day, all the doctors tried to
convince
> me otherwise.  They
> didn't allow me to feed him at all for 4 days.
When
> they finally let me
> again, they had him on a time schedule.  He
weighed
> 4 pounds 13 ounces at
> that time.  They said he was gaining weight too
> quickly, and they wanted to
> limit his milk.  Before he left the hospital they
> made me do everything from
> pump before I fed him to only feeding on one
breast
> at a time.  Obviously,
> they were not very aware of the supply and demand
> principles of
> breastfeeding.  In the end, they could not
persuade
> me, and he left the
> hospital still breastfeeding.  His pump allowed
me
> to feed him on demand.
> He had a very natural feeding routine.  His first
> A1C was 6.4 and has never
> been above 8.5.  He was successfully breastfed
until
> he was a year old, and
> never received formula.  His pump is still
allowing