Re: [IP] Cheating

> Last night I was at a weekend Girl Guide event, at the banquet as I
> paitently awaited my meal, a lady came up to me to let me know they
> me a special meal, I said no way, she said well it says here you have
> diabetes so you can't have the gravy, I said ohh yes I can, your not
> my gravy away, she said no you can't have gravy, I told that I have the
> Diabetes and I know what I can have.  The others at the table were quite
> upset that she would try to tell me what I can eat.  one lady said to me,
> your the one living with Diabetes you don't need people telling you how to
> eat!!  It felt good to know that some people out there know that it's up
> me to decide what I can and can't do.  I don't think every person needs to
> learn about Diabetes, but I think if they don't know then they should let
> those of us with Diabetes do our Job on our own.

diabetes = no gravy?  that made me laugh.  i've been pretty lucky that not
too many people have tried to tell me what to eat or not to eat because of
the dm.  the other night i was heading back from kingston, and tested at the
gas station as i always do (before that 2 hour drive, believe you me, i
test!).  i was running a 3.8, and was already starting to feel the signs.  i
downed the juice box i carry, but it wasn't bringing it up enough for
whatever reason that day (other days it's almost immediate, i think i may
have been a little sick that night), so i scoured the shelves of the
convenience store for something with the glucose... when i was eating the
candy quickly, you could see the looks in people's faces, the "but she can't
eat that" look.  people headed to my car, and i made the gentle announcement
that my car wouldn't be leaving until my sugars were safely over 5.6 - more
like 6.6 that night.  i think the light dawned on them then.

thanksgiving's in just a couple weeks here.  good ol' turkey gravy!

liz - ottawa - wearing the pump now, but just saline