[IP] RE: breastfeeding and diabetes

>>>Before he left the hospital they made me do everything from pump before I fed him to only feeding on one breast at a time.  Obviously,
they were not very aware of the supply and demand principles of breastfeeding.  In the end, they could not persuade me, and he left the
hospital still breastfeeding.  His pump allowed me to feed him on demand.  He had a very natural feeding routine.  His first A1C was 6.4 and has never been above 8.5.  He was successfully breastfed until he was a year old, and never received formula.<<<

I'm just curious, how did you manage the dosing?  Why on earth I would have thought about that, but I did, before you even posted about it.  Since we normally dose based on grams of carbohydrate, and a breastfed baby is getting who knows how much per feeding, I would think it would be hard to manage.

I'm glad to hear you were able to breastfeed anyway, though.

By the way, I have always fed my daughter on one side per feeding.  That way, I knew she was getting plenty of hind milk, which doesn't always happen when you switch sides.  It probably is a good idea to start out switching sides, though, when you are building supply.

In my case, one side per feeding was the only way to do it, as I had oversupply issues beginning at five to six weeks after birth.  That helped bring my supply back down to what it needed to be.

Kristen Olgren dxd in 1985, pumping since 1990