Re: [IP] RE: breastfeeding and diabetes

To all who were discussing the breastfeeding,
 My story is a little different, but I wanted to share it with you.  When my
son was born, I planned to breastfeed him.  After his diagnosis with
diabetes that day, all the doctors tried to convince me otherwise.  They
didn't allow me to feed him at all for 4 days.  When they finally let me
again, they had him on a time schedule.  He weighed 4 pounds 13 ounces at
that time.  They said he was gaining weight too quickly, and they wanted to
limit his milk.  Before he left the hospital they made me do everything from
pump before I fed him to only feeding on one breast at a time.  Obviously,
they were not very aware of the supply and demand principles of
breastfeeding.  In the end, they could not persuade me, and he left the
hospital still breastfeeding.  His pump allowed me to feed him on demand.
He had a very natural feeding routine.  His first A1C was 6.4 and has never
been above 8.5.  He was successfully breastfed until he was a year old, and
never received formula.  His pump is still allowing him the most natural
feeding routine possible to a diabetic toddler.  I thank my lucky stars that
he was born at a time of such technological advancement.