[IP] re: My Bad One Touch Ultra Experience

I know how worrisome it is to have your meter die.
A couple of years ago I went out of town to rural Maine for the weekend.
When I arrived on Friday evening I tried to test my bg. Same
thing....totally dead meter, fairly new battery. I had tested a couple
of hours earlier with no problem. I called Lifescan immediately. The rep
I talked with was extremely helpful. What she did was keep calling
pharmacies local to where I was (there were a grand total of 3 in the
phone book)  until she found the only one that was open in the evening.
They did not have the exact meter I was using at the time, but did have
another Lifescan meter. She arranged for them to provide me with a meter
and strips to last through the weekend and arranged to send me a new
meter that was the model I wanted. I thanked her profusely, but told her
I also wanted an extra meter to keep for back-up since I was concerned
that this might happen again. No sweat, I had 2 meters (plus 25 strips)
in the mail on Tuesday.
This was when I was using a One Touch. When I switched to an Ultra I
called Lifescan and told them I wanted a back up meter to avoid worry
about having an incident similar to this previous one.
The woman I spoke to this time was NASTY. Told me she would send a
meter, but only a meter, no case, no strips, nothing extra. Geesh, the
meter was all I wanted and all I'd asked for.
I'd suggest that rather than wait til the mail is working on Monday, you
call now and ask them to arrange for you to get a meter from your local
pharmacy (they can arrange for it to be at Lifescan's expense) and tell
them you'd appreciate a back up meter being sent out on Monday. Tell
them you called previously and were told to call back if it happens
again, but this is NOT ACCEPTABLE, you do not want to live with this
kind of worry, you  will not wait until it happens again and that if
they will not get you a new one TODAY that you will buy a different
meter today and deal with a company that will help you in an emergency.
I suspect that if you do this nicely that they will do exactly as you've
requested.  I'd also suggest you tell them that you use a LOT of strips.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

 "Alderson Arts" <email @ redacted> wrote:

    Last night while at work I was going to test my BG before the end of
shift and my drive home--my hypoglycemia awareness is not what it used
I stuck a strip in the meter and nothing. So I stuck another strip in
meter and nothing still. I never got a low battery symbol on the screen,
received the meter less than a month ago. I tried turning it on manually
holding down the M button and still nothing.
    I then popped out the battery hoping for a generic reset because I
think the battery was dead. Still there was no response from the meter
putting the battery back in. And yes the battery was in the correct way.
    At the end of my shift I drove home. While driving I started to see
yellow spots in my field of vision letting me know I am going low. I got
through the low, and I got a new battery for the meter.
    When I got home I put the new battery in. No response whether I
tried to
manually turn it on or use strips. Then I took the new battery back out
put the old one back in. When I turned the meter over it was on in
waiting for me to enter the date, time, etc.
    I called Lifescan and explained this to the representative. He said
call them back if it happens again. Well, I got a little cranky then and
him about the low driving home. He wanted to know if I required any
care. He wanted to know if I tested my BG and what meter I used. I told
that I still have my DEX2 from Bayer but my insurance won't cover those
which is the only reason I got the One Touch to begin with.
    Anyway, he said they would overnight me a new one by FEDEX, but I
get it until Tuesday because there distribution centers are closed for
weekend. I wanted to complain to him about getting a backup meter but
it would be a waste of time (I'm going to email Lifescan about this and
for a backup meter).
    Now one might think that this would be the end of the story. Well,
isn't. When I was putting away my supplies I had my vial of strips that
almost empty and my new vial fresh out of the box that I just got from
pharmacy a couple of days ago. I picked it up and thought that it was
light for a full vial. I opened it to find that it was empty. Not one
strip was in the brand new vial. I'm going to call the pharmacy first
tell Lifescan.
    Not knowing my BG before I drove home was life threatening.
made it home safely. I don't really want to carry around two meters but
can't think of another option to be safe and sure.
    Other than this I had a pretty good day ;)

Cody S. Alderson