Re: [IP] Re: Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

I know all about the study but I have decided not to participate, I am really
going to try to breastfeed my child this time round and would like to make
that one of my main focuses. I tried my hardest to breastfeed my first child
but I had no prior knowledge of breastfeeding and no one helped me at all, not
even at the hospital and I wasn't even aware that there were breastfeeding
groups or anything around so I had no clue what to do. I was able to on and
off for about 1 month but I was still very sick and could not move that well
and still no one would help. Being pregnant the second time, I have attended
classes and am continuing to read everything I can to give it all that I can
now that I have an understanding of breastfeeding. I know that there are ways
to get around any situation and of course I want the best thing for my
children but when I didn't know what to do or even how to breastfeed properly
and had no help or anything, I was clueless, at least I now know for my second

All diabetic mothers need to try and breastfeed their
babies if there is a chance of preventing diabetes.
Michael's post about the study going on didn't seem to
get many responses. In a nutshell, a study is being
done to compare breastfed vs. formula fed babies. The
premise is that the protein in the milk might be a
trigger for diabetes.I breastfed my son for 3 yrs and
my daughter for 4yrs..... I had no real
family support  but found the LA LECHE groups a great
help. Please it is very rare that a mother can't
breastfeed. There are ways to get around any
situation. meg
The info is as follows:
Trial to Reduce Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus in
Genetically at Risk (TRIGR) is an international study
with centers in
the US, Canada, Europe and Australia.  Its purpose is
to conduct a
primary prevention trial for type 1 diabetes. The
study is seeking
newborn infants with a family member (mother, father,
brother) who has type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes.
TRIGR's purpose
is to find out whether a diet free of cow's milk
protein within the
first six months of life reduces the risk of type 1
diabetes in
at-risk patients.  The study also hopes to determine
if the cow's
milk-free diet reduces the frequency of
diabetes-specific antibodies,
which can occur in high-risk individuals prior to the
development of
diabetes. Recruitment for the study is  anytime during
pregnancy or
up to 7 days of life.

For more information please check our website
or in the US, call Margaret Franciscus  (412)
692-5250Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :