Re: [IP] Re: Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

I know all about the study but I have decided not to participate, I am really
going to try to breastfeed my child this time round and would like to make
that one of my main focuses. I tried my hardest to breastfeed my first child
but I had no prior knowledge of breastfeeding and no one helped me at all, not
even at the hospital and I wasn't even aware that there were breastfeeding
groups or anything around so I had no clue what to do. I was able to on and
off for about 1 month but I was still very sick and could not move that well
and still no one would help. Being pregnant the second time, I have attended
classes and am continuing to read everything I can to give it all that I can
now that I have an understanding of breastfeeding. I know that there are ways
to get around any situation and of course I want the best thing for my
children but when I didn't know what to do or even how to breastfeed properly
and had no help or anything, I was clueless, at least I now know for my second
child.

Jacqui
All diabetic mothers need to try and breastfeed their
babies if there is a chance of preventing diabetes.
Michael's post about the study going on didn't seem to
get many responses. In a nutshell, a study is being
done to compare breastfed vs. formula fed babies. The
premise is that the protein in the milk might be a
trigger for diabetes.I breastfed my son for 3 yrs and
my daughter for 4yrs..... I had no real
family support  but found the LA LECHE groups a great
help. Please it is very rare that a mother can't
breastfeed. There are ways to get around any
situation. meg
The info is as follows:
Trial to Reduce Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus in
the
Genetically at Risk (TRIGR) is an international study
with centers in
the US, Canada, Europe and Australia.  Its purpose is
to conduct a
primary prevention trial for type 1 diabetes. The
study is seeking
newborn infants with a family member (mother, father,
sister,
brother) who has type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes.
TRIGR's purpose
is to find out whether a diet free of cow's milk
protein within the
first six months of life reduces the risk of type 1
diabetes in
at-risk patients.  The study also hopes to determine
if the cow's
milk-free diet reduces the frequency of
diabetes-specific antibodies,
which can occur in high-risk individuals prior to the
development of
diabetes. Recruitment for the study is  anytime during
pregnancy or
up to 7 days of life.

For more information please check our website
WWW.TRIGR.ORG
or in the US, call Margaret Franciscus  (412)
692-5250Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com