Re: [IP] Re: Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

--- Jacqui Hall <email @ redacted> wrote:
> I can't believe that you breastfeed for two
years,
> that is wonderful. I wasn't
> able to breastfeed my child because no one helped
me
All diabetic mothers need to try and breastfeed their
babies if there is a chance of preventing diabetes.
Michael's post about the study going on didn't seem to
get many responses. In a nutshell, a study is being
done to compare breastfed vs. formula fed babies. The
premise is that the protein in the milk might be a
trigger for diabetes.I breastfed my son for 3 yrs and
my daughter for 4yrs. Believe I was only going to try
it because I was one of the babies who had convulsions
from the formula back in the 1950's. I had no real
family support  but found the LA LECHE groups a great
help. Please it is very rare that a mother can't
breastfeed. There are ways to get around any
situation. meg
 The info is as follows:
Trial to Reduce Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus in
the
Genetically at Risk (TRIGR) is an international study
with centers in
the US, Canada, Europe and Australia.  Its purpose is
to conduct a
primary prevention trial for type 1 diabetes. The
study is seeking
newborn infants with a family member (mother, father,
sister,
brother) who has type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes.
TRIGR's purpose
is to find out whether a diet free of cow's milk
protein within the
first six months of life reduces the risk of type 1
diabetes in
at-risk patients.  The study also hopes to determine
if the cow's
milk-free diet reduces the frequency of
diabetes-specific antibodies,
which can occur in high-risk individuals prior to the
development of
diabetes. Recruitment for the study is  anytime during
pregnancy or
up to 7 days of life.

For more information please check our website
WWW.TRIGR.ORG
 or in the US, call Margaret Franciscus  (412)
692-5250