Re: [IP] Re: insurance coverage for pump

At 05:29 PM 9/27/02 -0700, you wrote:
 >Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Maryland has a tricky way of
 >getting around thelegal restrictions Michael mentioned
 >and still not having to pay for the pump.  They put it
 >in the category of Durable Medical Equipment, along
 >with wheelchairs, iron lungs(yes), and respirators,
 >even though a pump lasts 4 years and these other
 >devices last about a century.  They have an annual cap
 >of $1,000 for Durable Medical Equipment. <snip> Does anyone have a suggestion
 >before my retirement savings run out?

Get a new job.  This cap is usually set by your HR department when they're
negotiating for insurance coverage, not by the insurance company
itself.  You also might find out if there are others who would support
lifting the cap and speak with the people in HR to see if it's possible.

I know and feel your pain, I've been in a similar situation.  And right
after I paid $4,000.00 out of pocket for the new pump, the company laid me
off. blech.