Re: [IP] Attitudes about diabetes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacqui Hall" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Attitudes about diabetes

> I take my disease and my life very seriously despite my age.
> Jacqui

I am with you. I am getting very tired of all the "Doom and Gloom" of so
many of the posts here.

No, I am not the parent of a child with diabetes.

I am the grandson of a diabetic grandmother who went blind with diabetic
retinopathy when I was 3. I am the son of a diabetic father who died of
multiple complications from D. I am the nephew of all of his siblings (9)
who have had or currently have either diabetes or other endocrine disorders
and most have died from them. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic based on
family history in 1938, confirmed in 1955 by fasting blood tests. I am a
M.O.D.Y. and I will not explain that term since we have so many experts here
that have all the answers. I have lived with diabetes all of my life and am
very aware of the problems, seriousness and possible complications of this
disease. However much I want a cure and a preventative for my children and
grandchildren, I can not sit in a corner and feel sorry for myself, or feel
deprived of much of my live.

I got out of bed this morning. That is a BIG advance from my predicted life
expectancy at age 22 of 10 to 15 years. It is a big advance from my fathers
permanent disability at age 52, or his brother's death from complications at
age 35.

For the record I am 69, not exactly a kid. I feel I am ahead of the game by
being alive and by being able to be active in several organizations besides
2 D support groups. I travel around the country with my wife.

Do I have complications? Not so that they slow me down. Will I have
complications? Probably, but I don't have time to sit and worry or cry about
that. I will deal with them if and when the arise. Do I expect a cure? "In
five years." Heard that since I was five.

Just for informational reasons my last A1c was 6.2 and my C-peptide was 0.3.