Re: [IP] Re: is diabetes really that bad

I am happy for all of you who can find good and something positive with having diabetes.  You are probably positive people to begin with, which certainly doesn't hurt dealing with D.  However, I tend to agree with Howard - "anyone that can find positive aspects of diabetes after 20 years is lieing".  Even if you don't get major complications, it wears you down, day after day, so that even when you get a common, simple cold or flu, it's 10 times harder to deal with and that, in and of itself, can bring on major complications.  Nothing is simple with D.  I tend to be a negative person to begin with and I'm not even the one with D - my g-daughter and daughter are.  Maybe it's harder on the parents & g-parents than it is the person with D.  I don't know - all I know is I'm sick and very sad over the whole thing after 32 years-esp. now that my g-daughter has Type I.  In the case of Sonny Von Bulow who tried to kill his wife with insulin but didn't succeed - she has been in a coma for 22 years - true story - during the trial one of the attorneys asked "what is the opposite of good health?"  Answer - diabetes.  The name of the movie about this case is "Reversal of Fortune" if anyone's interested in the story.

Tammy, mom to Joely, dx'd 1970; g-ma to Emma, dx'd 2001; both pumping 7-18-02