Re: [IP] Re: is diabetes really that bad

>When anyone who has had diabetes for 20 or more
>years, can find positive aspects of the disease, they

>are simply lying.

I am very sorry that you are having such a hard time
with having diabetes.  It appears that you have been
unsuccesful in finding a good therapist also.

I have been diabetic (I choose to use that phrase on
purpose)  for over 30 years.  I absolutely cannot
imagine what life would be like without diabetes.  I
really cannot.  It is very much part of who I am.  It
does not define me, but it is part of me.  (FWIW -
most folks that find out I'm diabetic are incredulous
"you don't 'act' like a diabetic".  Yeah, and I don't
have horns either.)

I wouldn't be the person I am today without the
experiences I gained through having diabetes.  I would
be someone ELSE without diabetes.  Yeah, sometimes it
sucks, but not often.  Simply, I love who I am and
diabetes comes with it!

Maybe I'll feel differently if I'm stricken with
complications - but I haven't - so I can only speak
from my own perspective of being a very healthy person
who happens to also have diabetes.  It's never stopped
me from doing anything (except climb Mt Everest 'cause
my insulin would freeze up there!).

I hope you are able to find some happiness somewhere
in your life - despite the diabetes.

-gail in denver
dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11.  Pumping since 1985-ish.

Do you Yahoo!?