[IP] Re: is diabetes really that bad

Just wanted to share my two cents...I was diagnosed at age 12 (20 years ago
this year), and did fine with my shots while I was in the hospital (you
stayed a week when you were diagnosed in those days, at least where I lived).
 But when we got home, all of a sudden I decided I didn't really feel like
dealing with it and refused to give my shot.  My mom couldn't give me my
shots either--she would have to have my dad come home from work to do it.
(This only lasted two or three days, and he was over it.)  Not that I thought
my mom was a wimp, but I always wondered if other moms were the same way.
I'm sure if my dad hadn't been around she would have learned to deal with it
(or to make me do it myself!), but it's kind of nice to hear she wasn't the
only one.

In some ways I do think diabetes is that bad--but I also think some of that
depends on how you look at it.  Right now I have a very negative eye towards
it because I found out yesterday that my eye doctor wants to start treating
me for glaucoma (which I didn't even know I had), and was denied my test
strips because my new, awful insurance that completely sucks won't pay for
them till Sunday.  But once I get over that I'll feel better about it again.
I still do resent having to think about it 24 hours a day, but the fact that
it forces me to eat better and exercise is, for me, not a bad thing.  Without
diabetes I would do neither of those things.

My depression originally set in when I was dumped by someone I really thought
I loved who couldn't stand the sight of a needle and was intimidated by any
kind of illness.  It broke my heart and brought on a major depression that I
sometimes still deal with and still take medication for.  After that
experience, I had to start looking really hard for something good about

Kristin (who is also from Denver)