Re: [IP] Re: contradictions, or is it really that bad

I was diagnosed at age 14 and it was MUCH harder for my parents than for me.
I was relieved to find out the cause of my symptoms, and pretty much just
accepted it.

Mom still says she could never have given my shots, so it's fortunate I was
old enough to take care of myself--otherwise she thinks I may have had to
die <g>.

My parents went into denial and remained there for a couple decades, so like
my neighbor Gail in Denver (I'm in Conifer), I was pretty much on my own.
They cared very much about what I was going through, but felt too guilty and
terrified to learn any facts.

Depression did not set in until I got married 6 years later and my husband
and I started going to ADA meetings and learned of the complications
involved.  Every week we'd hear updates on those in the hospital from
complications, women with pregnancy complications (this was 20 years ago),
patients who were about to have their blinded eye removed, amputees----it
was really awful!  Ignorance really IS bliss!!<g>

Lisa Mattox