Re: [IP] Re: did I cook my insulin in the microwave??

> In a message dated 9/26/02 6:59:55 PM !!!First Boot!!!, email @ redacted
> writes:
> > The bottle of insulin was a new one, cold from the fridge, and I was
> > impatient to get on with business, so I thought I would warm it up - I
> > mean, get it to room temperature - a couple of seconds in the microwave.
> > did that, for NO MORE THAN A COUPLE OF SECONDS, IF THAT). and changed
> > set.  Proceeded to have tea and toast for breakfast.
> >
> > A couple of hours later when I arrived at work, I tested and was 422

There is nothing really special about microwaving an aqueous solution. If
you did not heat it up (either generally or locally) then the protein should
be OK. MW energy is not high enough to directly break any of the chemical

However. I don't think this is a good idea - simply because it is not really
useful. The main purpose for warming the insulin to room temperature is
because air is more soluble in the cold solution than it is in the warmer
solution. By warming it to the temperature that you will be using it at, and
letting it sit for several hours you allow any excess gas in the solution
to bubble out in the bottle rather than in the reservoir. Generally the
removal of excess gas from the solution is slow and takes longer than
warming the solution does. Trying to speed the process up is probably not