Re: [IP] Re: Contradictions or is it really that bad

> Even though I wasn't dx'd until I was 11 y/o - I have
> no memory of life BD (before diabetes).  It's really
> all I've ever known.  It's just the way it is.  I live
> my life the only way I know how - and that means with
> insulin.  The only choice I have is in my attitude
> toward it.  A bad attitude makes for a miserable life.
>  So I choose to just deal with it.  Period.
> Even though my parents virtually ignored that fact
> that I was diabetic - there was a good lesson there
> too: that there was no reason to sit around and fret
> the disease.  Take the hand your dealt and play it.
> -gail in denver
> dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11.
Pumping since 1985-ish.--WOW-17 years--I'm jealous!

You must be my kindred spirit. Diagnosed at six, diabetes is really all I
have ever known. And--I know this will tick someone off--but I do think it
was easier to start DM earlier, because I established a routine as a child,
DM became, well, routine. In fact, I never thought of myself as not
"normal". Better yet, unlike my peers, I was staying away from junk food
and, later, cigs, drugs, etc. DM as a child also made me more independent,
and, according to some adults, more mature. Diet, shots, etc. didn't really
bother me. The one thing that did bother me is that I was not athletic, and
that was really a social concern more than anything. And, Gail, like you, my
parents pretty much were no help. I just figured it out myself. Could have
used some diabetes education earlier (my parents got the classes, not me!!).

That said, I look at my six-year-old and worry like crazy. The only comfort
I have is that the technology is light-years ahead of what I had, and I too
believe there will be a cure in the not too distant future (but I won't say
the proverbial "five years"!).

As for starting DM as an adult--well we've heard from quite a few Type I's
already--but consider Type 2's. Many of them have a heard time adjusting and
are in worse shape than some of us. I can tell you working with community
(my job), there is a great deal of denial and fear involved, which delays
treatment, with dire consequences. Kids don't have much choice. At an adult
age, it takes motivation. If you have it, you can succeed. If you don't....

To me, beyond the scientists who are working on cures, it is mainly about
education--kids, parents, patients, etc. The more the better. But we have a
long way to go yet.

dx'd T1 10/64 @ age 6.  Pumping since 5/01