[IP] Friend's Diabetic Son

If this kid has any interest in the pump he can go to Dr. Doug Rogers at the
Cleveland Clinic. He put Sara on a pump with only a few requirements. To be
carb counters extraordinaire, check BGs often and be the pump commander. i.e.
Dad had to keep his paws off the new technology at home. It was Sara's and
only hers and she had to know how to operate it alone.  But, he was very
strict about the requirements listed above. He felt very strongly about not
putting a pump in the hands of someone who was going have a cavalier attitude
towards their self care.

 I think you said the kid is depressed. Well, the pump will help with that
also. One of the big pump plusses that parents share is how their child's
personality returns to normal. They lose much of that tired, sullen, depressed
demeanor that is common while on MDI for kids and teens. Teens are sullen
enough naturally without rotten BGs adding to the mix.

The aspect that puzzles me is a CDE telling a teen to not try a therapy
because it did not work for him/her. This does not seem to be the best
approach for a CDE to take or one I would expect from the CDEs I have met.
Each patient is an individual and should be treated as such. What works for
one can be a disaster for another. Of course there maybe more to this story
then you know. The CDE may have felt the kid and family were not very good
candidates for the pump and the effort required by it. Or this could be a CDE
that is intimidated by techie things with "umbilical cords" that go beep in
the night. Where is the MD in this equation?

Fortunately in this area he has options for Endo's that he can change to if
the currant one is not working out.

Good Luck,
Pam, mom to Sara, 16