[IP] Re: DKA

DKA involves more than just high bgs, ketones, and
vomiting (it also involves acidosis, the degree of
which determines the severity of the DKA). What you are
describing is ketosis, or a pre-DKA state. We had a
similar episode here with my daughter last week where
her luer lock had come very loose and we didn't know
it. She had noticed a wet spot on her clothes before
bed but didn't investigate it (nor did she mention it
to me.) Some 10+hrs later (!!!) when I did an a.m. bg
check on her (488) I noticed the problem when I went to
bolus the high and checked out the pump and site. She
also had large ketones and soon started vomiting. She
was probably on the verge of DKA but it definitely
wasn't DKA (she was in DKA at diagnosis 6yrs ago and
this was nothing in comparison). This turned around
within 4-6hrs whereas her DKA took several days (and
they said that was just mild DKA - she was very sick, I
shudder to think what severe DKA looks like).

Take care, Kerri
Chapman [Heaven's Here on Earth, 1994]

Adriana said:
My question is
this: Is it normal to go into DKA with BGs going no
higher than 264? I never
have before, everytime I have its been a whole lot