Re: [IP] Re: DKA

In a message dated 9/26/02 11:25:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> lol-- i know *exactly* what you mean about class! there are days when i
> would rather go and feel
> like i was going to die than miss a crucial lecture the week before an
> exam! (the nonstudents on
> this list must think we are crazy.) carrying an insulin pen is a great idea
> though; i dont have
> any so i just carry a syringe to suck insulin out of my cartridge if i need
> to.
> becky =) (dx'd 1/24/92 at age 10, pumping since 11/21/01)

I guess I have been really lucky with all of my professors so far in college.
 My freshmen year I missed a week and a half of classes b/c I was in the
hospital w/ DKA (this was even worse b/c it was mid-term time and I missed 2
tests and a paper).  When I was finally able to get back to school, I just
told my professors that I had been in the hospital (I showed them my
discharge papers from the hospital as well), and they all said that it was
fine and the two professors that had the tests I missed just gave me the
average score that I had got on all the other tests, and my other professor
gave me as long as I needed to write my missed paper.  Then, this past March
(mid-term time again) I missed 3 days of classes b/c I had a low and passed
out, hit my head on the marble window sill of my bedroom and the paramedics
came, took me to the hospital where I stayed all day b/c I had a concussion.
Well, when I did get back to school my professors all said just take my time
and again gave me as long as I needed to make up my work.  So, I guess it is
just the luck of the draw what kind of professors you get.   Sorry this was
so long....
       Pumping since 7-18-02 with my blue Paradigm "Lancelot"