Re: [IP] New Subject - pregnancy complications

>>>I am 21 wks pregnant with my second child and started on the pump when I was about 10 wks pregnant and things were going well for about 7 wks and now they are awful, they keep going and we have no idea why, I haven't changed my diet
or anything, the doctor makes changes to my doses and things like that but things still aren't right. Nothing really seems to work. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice.<<<

Don't sweat it.  Of course, do the best you can to keep your blood sugars in line, and if your post prandial values are out of whack, compensate for it with a correctional dose, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It is totally normal for your insulin needs to keep going up, and what was "enough" last week isn't enough this week. It is a part of pregnancy as a diabetic.

My doctor told me that studies indicate that the correlation between blood sugars and the baby's weight appears to be strongest with blood sugar levels (or probably actually A1c levels) from six months prior to conception up through the first trimester.  Obviously, it is important to watch your blood sugars and do the best you can, but even with the pump, during pregnancy, it isn't going to be perfect, simply because the hormones keep your insulin needs constantly changing.

My blood sugars and insulin needs wildly fluctuated during both my pregnancies.  I had bad lows toward the end of the first trimester with both of them.  Then beginning at 25 or 26 weeks with my son, and at about 20 weeks with my daughter, my insulin needs started going up.  From that point on, we were having to adjust them at almost every appointment, and I saw my endo every two weeks throughout my pregnancy.

In the end, I had two beautiful, healthy children.  Neither battled lows as newborns.  My son was 8 lbs. 15 oz., and in spite of excellent A1c's from six months prior to and throughout pregnancy, my daughter was 9 lbs. 14 oz.  But she hasn't been sick a day in her life yet, and she is five months!

At this point, all you can do is the best you can.  When the blood sugars continue to go up, in spite of your best efforts to eat right and dose right, you just need to take the correction bolus and put it out of your head.

That's the great value of a pump during pregnancy.  It couldn't be easier to compensate for ever increasing insulin needs.  All you've got to do is press a couple of buttons, and it's done!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and I hope your baby is as good a baby as my daughter is.

Kristen Olgren dxd type 1 July 1985, pumping since August 1990