[IP] Re: contradictions, or is it really that bad

Ember's post reminded me of when I was first diagnosed and my mother gave me
the book "When bad things happen to good people." Rabbi Kushner wrote it
after his teenage son died of a rare illness. Even though the author is
Jewish and the book talks about religion, it is very broad in nature and I
think you might enjoy it. It deals precisely with the struggle you have in
finding a reason for your diabetes. The crux of the book is basically the
randomness of life. Given your beliefs, I don't know if this fits. But the
book helped me a lot and I have recommended it to many others who have
enjoyed it as well.
Also, to add to my previous long-winded post on this topic, I've always felt
extremely fortunate to have been diagnosed as an adult rather than a child. I
think of all the Halloweens and slumber parties eating gallons of ice cream,
etc., etc. Pumps sure make it better, but I really feel for the kids and
their parents.
I also used to feel so fortunate not to have cancer or some other terminal
illness too. Lately, however, I've felt a little peaved about all the
attention given to other diseases while diabetes gets snubbed. It's that
"it's not big deal yet it's a really big deal" quandry that actually led
Ryan, the original poster, to start this thread.
We all need to be big advocates and fundraisers, but the contradictions are
confusing to people I think. I don't know what the answer is. The very nature
of diabetes is that no two patients are alike completely, so what do we do?
dxed T1 9/92, pumping since 1/02