[IP] Contradictions,or...is it really that bad

As a general rule adults are much more difficult to accept medical changes
than children. But it is their choice to make or to not make the required
changes and they can understand the ramifications of their decision, i.e.. to
be compliant or noncompliant.

But a child? They are basically given the new lifestyle and diet, which is
tossed at them by health care personal and family without the ability to
choose their level of compliance. It is not that they change easier, they just
usually have no choice.
They miss the pizza with friends at midnight during that all important
birthday party. They miss tossing their lunch in the middle of the lunch table
with all their friends and everyone just grabbing what they think looks good
that day. They miss the spontaneous fun of jumping out of their desk and
running out the door for an extra recess without having to do an extra BG
check to make sure they won't go low or are to high to play spontaneously.
They miss achieving the athletic and academic level they may have attained
because they just cannot be in top form for training and learning every day.
Or they have to miss school and practices more than the average for most
students because he/she is a teen and their BG has a mind of its own no matter
how hard they discipline themselves. They remember the days when bedtime was a
warm snuggly time that did not rely on a BG check and adjustments. They miss
the opportunities to travel to exciting locations like thier siblings unless a
parent tags along.
Should I go on? The list is endless.
This disease is just as hard for a child to accept as any adult. Injustice at
the quirks of fate is not an emotion that spirals infinitely higher as we age.
We feel it equally strongly at age 4 or 8 or 16 or 30. Only our responces
change with age and hopefully wisdom.

The difference is a child has a parent chasing them around to assure they are
doing everything to take care of themselves. They are not given a choice to
show their resentment at life changes, they must go with the flow. They say
you cannot miss something you have never had. Well, I think any Diabetic kid
will tell you they miss not being able to lead their lives in the manner their
friends do. They will never know true spontaneity in life the way those of us
blessed with good health take or have taken for granted.
Can anyone imagine asking a child "Would you rather develop Diabetes as a
young child so you will not have all those wonderful memories of better times
growing up without the Diabetic regimen; or would you rather develop the
illness as an adult so you can enjoy your younger years carefree from worries
of schedules, highs and lows and not need to experience the anxiety of those
extra 10, 15 or 20 years your body did not have the stress and resultant
complications each year of diabetes adds."
I know what Sara would say...give me back my childhood and those added years
at the end of my life.

Here is the simple fact and finally my point. When you get any illness that
changes your lifestyle in any degree it is a loss at anytime of life and it is
hard for anybody. A loss is a loss and everyone has grief, anger etc. until
acceptance, which is a nonstatic state in itself. No matter what your age,
your illness or your prognosis. Everyone hurts the same because they have lost
something precious. Everyone feels the same about the changes forced into
their life because no one is happy to give up their health, lifestyle or life.
Everyone is in the same boat.
Now I am going to join Beverly, Mary's mom at the tissue box and have a good
cry before Sara  gets home from lifeguarding. This may have been an
interesting thread but it was painful for parents to see some of the things
Pam, mom to Sara, 16 Diagnosed 12/27/93 (my teen who is out there kicking
Diabetes butt across the floor every day even though she misses EVERYTHING)