Re: [IP] Cobra/Pre-existing condition coverage

COBRA laws are Federal Laws.  As long as the employer has greater than 20
employees, you are allowed 63 days of a 'lapse' in coverage and pre-existing
conditions clauses will not apply.  You will just need to hang on to the
HIPPA sheet that you will get (You current carrier is required to send them
out - another Federal Law) after you leave you current position.  I wouldn't
waste my money on 1 month of COBRA coverage (it is very expensive).  I have
changed jobs and never pay for 60 days of COBRA.  If an employer has a 90-day
waiting period, then I pay for 1 month, but not the last two.  I just get
supplies the day or so that coverage ends and then get my next order
immediately after my new coverage picks up.  I always have extra supplies
because my Endo writes my prescriptions to allow for extras, so I have never
run out.

I have battled a major insurance carrier when I left the first job that I'd
taken after college.  I won because of the COBRA Laws.  Since then, I have
learned a lot about the COBRA laws.  There have been no changes in the COBRA
Laws recently.  And I have every HIPPA sheet that I have ever received, even
from when I left my mother's insurance 8 years ago.  The pre-exisiting
condition clause does not apply as long as there is no break in coverage
longer than 63-days.

If you have a pre-existing condition, like we all do, then you need to be
well versed in the COBRA Laws!

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD, CNSD
Certified Insulin Pump Trainer
IDDM x >20 years