[IP] re: energy metabolism

>> If you take insulin at this point the fats
>> burm cleanly because there is energy released from the glucose being
>> metabolized. And the ketones go away. The liver also stops dumping
>> because it has the energy needed by the body. , spot
>> in iddm the alpha cells generally are spared from t-cell killing.
>> A. L. Bender, M. D.
>> email @ redacted

First, let me say thanks for sharing this info - I always learn so much from
this list! Now for another question. I read somewhere that, generally,
within five years or so of diagnosis, that Type 1s lose the ability to
"self-correct" a low. If the alpha cells are still operational, is there
something else that fails? I'm hoping the info I heard was incorrect. Not
that I want to count on my son's internal glucagon to save him, but it would
be nice to know that it might always be there, just in case. I know his own
glucagon has saved him before (he has had obvious rebounds) - and I've
thanked God for it each time!

thanks for any info,
Mom to Ryan (5 and pumping since 8/17/00) and Celia (8 and non-diabetic)