Re: [IP] Contradictions, or...is it really that bad?

>From: Ryan Bruner <email @ redacted>
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IP] Contradictions, or...is it really that bad?
>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:27:01 -0400
>Insulin Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum
>members and supporters in industry.  Your tax deductible donation
>of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can
>continue to serve you and diabetes community. Please visit:
>Since I've joined this list, I've been amazed at the differences people
>have toward seeing their diabetes.  In some cases, people are adamently
>against calling diabetes a "disability", or being treated differently
>in any way because of it...and then on the other hand, people are also
>fighting to make people aware of the seriousness of the disease, need
>for better insurance coverage, etc.
>These contradictions from within the diabetic community certainly don't
>help anything.  :-)  You can't have it both ways, can you?
>But, I have to wonder why people see their diabetes as really that
>bad.  Certainly, I don't deny the seriousness of the disease, and all
>of the potential complications...but, is it really that bad?  I've had
>diabetes for 20 years...diagnosed at age 9.  Through those years, I've
>been on about 8 different types of insulin, and varying methods of food
>control (from exchanged-based eating to carb counting).  I've had my
>share of highs and lows.  I've dealt with going from a single shot a
>day to 5-6 shots a day to pumping.  I've dealt with people's
>misunderstandings of the disease (including some doctor's!).  Yet,
>throughout all of this, I just see diabetes as part of who I am.  I
>really can't remember life before diabetes.  I see my carb counting and
>insulin pumping (and shots, prior to that) as simply how I stay alive.
>It is as necessary as breathing and eating.
>I used to be asked, "Don't you hate having to give yourself shots all
>the time?"  My answer was always, "No...do you hate having to eat every
>day to stay alive?"  Personally, I just don't see diabetes as all that
>bad.  What about you?

I am the mom of a 13 year old diagnosed 3 years ago. She has been pumping
for 1 1/2 years. She was diagnosed with Celiac disease 1 1/2 years ago.
Celiac is another auto-immune disease they think approx. 15-20% of all type
1 have. She was asymptomatic for this at the time of dx. The only "cure" for
this is a gluten-free diet. That means no wheat, rye, oat, or barley
products. What that really means to a teenager is no pizza, donuts, cake,
pasta, burgers, you get the idea. She is a great kid and does very well,
bring her our food with her to sleep-overs and get togethers. I spend hours
in the grocery stores, reading every label, I won't go into all the "hidden"
sources of gluten in our food supply. I don't have to go down the bread,
cookie or cereal aisle, she can't have most of anything there. I buy lots of
stuff online, imports from canada and europe, pricey but if she will eat it,
then I'll buy it. It's very difficult to count carbs for most of the g-f
products out there. BOTTOM LINE Diabetes is a piece of cake (gluten-free of
course)!!!! Her a1c has been 6 and lower. She is a normal 8th grader, she is
beautiful, and tests 10 times daily. She always says she doesn't mind
diabetes, it's the celiac that is so restrictive. I wish to some day see
real advances in a cure for both these diseases. Thanks for letting me vent.