[IP] Re: Contradictions, or...is it really that bad?

So far, from the responses I've seen, it seems that getting Diabetes as
a child is much better.  :-)  The responses from those WITH diabetes,
and diagnosed early, seem to not see much of a big deal...whereas those
who were older when diagnosed have the bigger problem adjusting and
accepting it.

>I was diagnosed at
>age 25, so I had a full quarter century of "the good life" that I can
>remember very well.  I want it back.  I want to eat a whole pizza at
>in the morning...or chicken wings...or nachos; basically I want fat,
>lots of it. --Robert Page

I think that is one area that I'm THANKFUL for diabetes.  Prior to my
diagnosis, I really ate very poorly.  (Of course, it didn't help that
everything tasted bad prior to diagnosis...but within weeks of getting
things under control, I started liking all kinds of foods I couldn't
stand before!)

Today, I eat very healthy, in a moderation sense.  I'm not OVERLY
healthy...in the sense that I enjoy eating healthy foods as well as
unhealthy foods.  I learned to "listen to my body" in terms of eating.
As a result, I have not fluctuated more than 2-3 pounds in my weight
for over 13 years.  I think had I not been diagnosed, I would not be so
healthy.  In fact, I think my chances of heart attack, etc., are much
lower BECAUSE of my diabetes...because I've learned to eat better than
I would have if I didn't have diabetes.

In some ways, carb-counting...though a blessing...is actually not
necessarily a good thing.  My own focus has switched to carbs, and not
as much on the balance of an exchanged-based diet.  Fortunately, that
was ingrained in me...but what about those just diagnosed now?  They
will not learn as well the aspects of the balanced diet, and basically
continue eating in an unhealthy fashion.

Eating a whole pizza at 1:30 in the morning was NEVER healthy, diabetes
or not.  :-)  The diabetes has probably IMPROVED your life in that
regard.  What is good for us isn't always what we like.  If I may make
a parallel to scripture...those who live in darkness find light to be
painful.  In regards to food, those who have gotten used to unhealthy
eating HATE having to eat in a healthy way.  But, it doesn't change the
fact that it is better for you.  :-)

This is intriguing to see how each reacts.  For example, as a young
child, diabetes was never something that others made fun of me for.  If
they tried, it was no fun for them, because I just never allowed it to
be something I could be made fun of for.  I've always been very open
about my diabetes, even early on.  In fact, I almost "bragged" about my
diabetes at times, growing up...perhaps as a defense mechanism...but
mostly because I found it an opportunity to educate people.  My Medic
Alert bracelet gave me away, anyhow.  Even in the workplace, most
people don't know I'm a diabetic unless they see me checking my blood
sugar, or notice my pump (or, previously, see me giving my shot).  When
they do find out, it is never a big issue.  I'm no different in their
eyes because I have diabetes.

One thing I'm thankful for is that I have T1 diabetes.  I can't imagine
having T2...now THAT would mean a complete lifestyle change.  But,
today, I can do whatever I want and eat whatever I want.