[IP] Cobra/Pre-existing condition coverage

I am changing jobs in a month, and my new company will have a 30 day waiting period before new coverage will begin, so I need to know if I should get Cobra coverage, or not.  I seem to remember you can have a small lapse in coverage and still not have to deal with the pre-existing coverage. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. I will have 31 days without coverage, if i let my current coverage lapse.