[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #648

Susan Kinzelman <email @ redacted>
> "I think in some ways it's easier to adjust to the life style changes and
> routines when you are 9. When you get older it's harder to change. "
> This was in no way a statement that the diagnosis of diabetes is
> easier on a child than on an adult.

I'm glad you clarified that, because diabetes is VERY tough on children
emotionally.  I was dx'ed at the tender age of 3.  Anyone diagnosed as an
adult can't possibly know what it's like to be teased by your "friends"
growing up (kids can be cruel, remember) because you couldn't always play
with them.  Or what it's like to be told you can't see the matinee at the
local theater because it conflicts with dinnertime and you NEED your shot
RIGHT THEN.  Sitting on the sidelines watching your classmates play soccer,
knowing you were better than most of them but weren't allowed to play out
the full game because the parents were afraid you'd collapse in a heap.

I learned to shrug it off.  If the above sounds bitter, I apoligize, because
I'm NOT.  Do I notice people "treating me differently" as an adult?  Maybe,
but compared to what kids were capable of, this is *NOTHING*.

"Lifestyle changes" might be harder when dx'ed as an adult, sure, but that
certainly doesn't mean it was easy growing up.