[IP] Re: Contradictions or is it really that bad

Even though I wasn't dx'd until I was 11 y/o - I have
no memory of life BD (before diabetes).  It's really
all I've ever known.  It's just the way it is.  I live
my life the only way I know how - and that means with
insulin.  The only choice I have is in my attitude
toward it.  A bad attitude makes for a miserable life.
 So I choose to just deal with it.  Period.

In fact - I'll go so far as to say that I wouldn't
have had some of the opportunities & experiences I've
had if I wasn't diabetic.  I have made life-long
friends.  I have taken chances and risks just to prove
I CAN (like finishing a century ride in 8 hours,
traveling through Africa ALONE, backpacking through
the Rockies, learning to play competitive tennis at
the age of 40, etc).

Even though my parents virtually ignored that fact
that I was diabetic - there was a good lesson there
too: that there was no reason to sit around and fret
the disease.  Take the hand your dealt and play it.

-gail in denver
dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11.  Pumping since 1985-ish.

Do you Yahoo!?