[IP] Re: Contradictions, or...is it really that bad?

> From: Ryan Bruner <email @ redacted>
<snip> Personally, I just don't see diabetes as all that
> bad.  What about you?

I think this HAS TO BE a YMMV thingy! (Your Mileage May Vary). Living this
*lifestyle* for almost 52 years, I can relate to both sides. In the olden
days - well before today's tools - we had no comparisons, no A1c's, no 'net
groups to hear from others, etc. and we took what came along. I knew
something would happen to me, but not when or what. My demise was subtly
referred to often. I didn't know other DMers so didn't know what was going
on with them. I believe I have a very strong constitution like the rest of
my family of long livers ;) (no other DMers) but my pancreas could no longer
handle the 8-yr infection starting at 3 y/o and gave out. I have fared
pretty well with the extremely poor care I received over my early years -
Mom overfeeding me so I wouldn't have lows, therefore walking around with
fruity-smelling breath (acetone) from highs.

A neighbor told me of a co-worker who had to quit due to DM. I couldn't
understand it - however, I couldn't hold a fulltime job myself after my kids
were born due to lack of stamina. Couldn't handle it. But, after blindness
hit 2x (okay now) for a total of a year, and neuropathy and not being able
to walk (extreme improvement since pumping), frozen shoulder that lasted 2
years, and 6 heart blockages and dialysis 3x a week, 4-hrs each now - I look
back at those days where I couldn't understand why others had problems.
Let's hope those who can't understand now, won't have firsthand knowledge
later. Experience is a brutal teacher - for the younger or older!

 and Susan K. said:
> I got type 1 when I was 32 and so I *do* remember how great it was before
> had to test my blood, measure my food, etc. and it was great. A friend of
> mine is on dialysis and it does seem pretty much like a burden. I think in
> some ways it's easier to adjust to the life style changes and routines
> you are 9. When  you get older it's harder to change.

My belief is that younger people can roll with the punches a little better.
I meet a lot of people in their 50s - 60s who are devestated cuz their
lifestyle has to change (and take a pill everyday) due to DM. I don't
remember ever feeling well - with the boils, sties, and carbuncles starting
at age 3 and continuing the following 8 years, then IDDM. I felt death was
the only thing that would help me. I *grew* along with IDDM, instead of the
way others have without it, and can see where others who have lived their
*normal* lives for decades struggling to abruptly change. A heart attack
causes a willing abrupt change to not have a repeat - DM isn't as immediate
and the change takes a struggling mental conversion. I compare the heart
attack to a light switch - a flip of the switch makes a change in the light.
DM doesn't have a switch to flip.

Every once in awhile this topic rears its head and some say DM has been such
a blessing and improvement in their lives, and others say it is awful. Maybe
both sides have validity - guess it depends on how each has been hit. It's
definitely YMMV!!!! Let's not judge others by our own experiences - good or

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else