Re: [IP] Contradictions, or...is it really that bad?

I take my daughter's diabetes of 32 years and my g-daughter's diabetes of one year (both Type I, of course) more seriously and hard than my daughter does.  It is all she has known all her life.  It was very difficult raising her.  You can't just feed them and through them out the door to go to school.  Nothing is easy with diabetes.  It makes everything ten times harder whether it's going through school, the horrible teen years, pregnancies, stress, birthday parties, them going to friends houses, etc.  Now my g-daughter was dx'd 1 year ago. I wake up in the middle of the night and I just can't believe it.  My g-daughter also has cerebral palsy which affects her walking and runing, climbing and playing.  She falls easily and isn't at all steady on her feet but she CAN walk. She didn't walk until she was 2.  Still, the diabetes is what is 24/7, never a break, you all know.  My g-daughter is doing things to herself, checking blood sugars 10 times a day, poking her tiny little arm, wearing an infusion site 24/7, changing infusion sites every 3 days, things NO ONE should have to do.  My God, you can even get over some kinds of cancer.  There is no disease I know of that requires such vigilant attention 24/7/365.  The only things worse I can think of are paralysis or blindness.  I have often said when my daughter was little I would rather her have an arm missing.  You learn to do things with one arm and you go on.  It doesn't require constant, constant attention, monitoring and awareness.  Anyone can take care of a child with one arm.  They can go to friend's houses and spend the night. You can drop them off at school and forget about them for a few hours.  Diabetes sucks all the way around.  I HATE IT! And let's not forget the day of diagnosis your life expectancy is cut by 15 years and all the wonderful complications a diabetic has to fear.  Yes, I take it very hard but I don't let on to my grandchild.

Tammy, mom to Joely, dx'd 1970; g-ma to Emma, dx'd 2001; both pumping 7-18-02