Re: [IP] How Pumping Helped Me {Exercising w/ a Pump}

"I don't think I get the glycogen release from the liver, or I've never
exercised long enough for it to happen since I've never gone high after

The liver does the opposite of the pancreas.  It releases glycogen (stored
sugar) to keep you from going too low.  Even though our pancreas' don't work,
our livers don't know that & if too little insulin is in the bloodstream, it
will release that stored sugar to keep our blood sugar from crashing.  During
exercise this is not a problem, because our physical activity mainatains an
equilibrium in blood sugar.  After strenuous exercise, say a person's basal
was temporarily set to 20% of normal for 2 hours.  After ending the exercise,
if you don't restore the body's supply of insulin, the liver will increase its
glycogen output because it thinks your blood sugar is low.  It thinks it is
low because there is no insulin around.  Obviously the more mass the
individual has, the more importance this aspect of blood sugar control has for

" Your method sounds good, but would work only for planned exercise and, with
my life, I
tend to do things on the spur of the moment.  I've had good results by
bolusing half for my meal, then exercising (when I know I'm going to do so
after the meal).  I also turn my pump off for the period of exercising and
then just turn it back on when I'm finished.  I've never had to bolus prior
to exercise for the exercise itself, that indeed would bring on a low for

You sound confused.  I only mentioned bolusing before exercise as an example
of eating a meal beforehand.  You wouldn't bolus because of exercise.  As for
my method not working for "spur of the moment" exercise I'm not sure what you
mean.  If I am planning on going bike riding or hiking, etc...I simply lower
my basal on the ride over to whereever I'm headed.  The reason for doing this
is to lower the level of insulin in the bloodstream peaking during physical
activity, which eliminates hypoglycemia.  Disconnecting from the pump just for
the duration of the activity wouldn't work too well, for me at least, since
I'd still go low during the exercise period.