Re: [IP] Airport security and pumps: Italy

Before I left on my trip to Italy, I called
Continental three times and got three different
answers on what I needed to provide as 'proof' that my
insulin pump was not a bomb. :-) Consensus seems to be
insulin with a pre-printed pharmacy label will do it.
Dr's notes can be forged, so they don't seem impressed
by those, although I did have one rep. tell me I
needed one. I threw caution to the wind and flew
without one.

I had no problem in the U.S. (even though I was tagged
for 'special inspection') - I didn't set off the metal
detector, and when I was 'personally inspected', I
just explained to the screener what it was - "like a
pacemaker, but on the outside" seemed to work. She
told the supervisor it "was a pacemaker" (whatever)
and I breezed through.

I was more worried about the folks in Italy, and after
more than 7 flights with my pump, I finally set off
the metal detector. I started to explain what it was
to the Italian guard, and the supervisor came running
over and before I said one word said, (in very broken
English) "Insulin pump. No problem."

I guess there are a lot of us out there!

By the way, it's been one year since my last,
non-pumping trip to Europe and I couldn't believe the
difference - instead of being completely wiped out by
the time change, the jet-lag, the insulin adjustment,
etc. like last trip (where I had to spend almost two
days sleeping and then bounced from hypo to high 3-4
times a day for a week) I was fine almost immediately.
I ate everything (pasta and gelato) and walked
everywhere with very few highs, very few lows. It
really made me realized how much this little machine
has changed my life. Yay!

Do you Yahoo!?