From: "Creager, Ellen" <email @ redacted>
To: "Sheilagh Salvati" <email @ redacted>
Subject: RE: Diabetes Breakthrough Article
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:42:13 -0400

Hello: I do not think Dr. Fasola meant insulin was a cure; obviously not.
However, until a true cure is found, insulin is about the best most people
can do. Although a transplant is a "cure" you trade one set of problems for
another - a lifetime of immunosuppressing drugs. That's why they reserve
pancreas transplants for people who are in extreme, life-threatening need.
Good luck to you and here's hoping that a true cure is developed soon. Ellen