Re: [IP] How Pumping Helped Me {Exercising w/ a Pump}

"So, what is your method for exercise?  I still have problems with lows
unless I have enough preparation time to let my bgs run up so that I don't
go low during the exercise.  Spontaneous bike rides and such, even if I
suspend my pump, I still go low before the ride is over and I have to carb
up during it.  This doesn't help with weight loss, my endo told me that
exercise would probably not help me to lose weight because of the lows, but
that I would just get into better shape."

RoseLea,

It depends. But after 4 years I have pretty must mastered most of the nuances.

Lifting:
   1) After a Meal - Bolus 40%-60% of normal plus step 2.
   2) W/O a Prior bolus in my system - reduce basal to 50%-80% of normal during
      the training period depending on the duration & the {cardiovascular}
      intensity of the period.  After training period bolus 1.5 - 2.5 units
      units to counteract glycogen release by the liver.

Walking:
   1) After a Meal - Bolus 40%-50% of normal plus step 2.
   2) W/O a Prior bolus in my system - reduce basal to 30%-50% ~30 minutes
      prior to starting and return to 100% 20 minutes prior to conclusion.
      After training period bolus 0.5 - 1.5 units units to counteract glycogen
      release by the liver.

Bike Riding:
   1) After a Meal - Bolus 40%-50% of normal plus step 2.
   2) W/O a Prior bolus in my system - reduce basal to 30%-50% ~30 minutes
      prior to starting. Further reduce basals to 10%-20% for the duration of
      the bikeride.  After training period bolus (X) units units to
      counteract glycogen release by the liver.  Following a 54 mile bike ride
     (X) could be as high as 5-10 units!

It is important for me that the post exercide bolus be done before activity
completion to ensure the presence of insulin in the bloodstream or else the
liver will react by releasing glycogen.  The longer the delay, the higher the
release.  A couple of times after biking for 4+ hours, I forgot to bolus, and
my blood sugar shot up to 400+; could have been prevented if I had remembered
to bolus a few units beforehand.

Any other questions?