[IP] Re: Mary tyler moore, her contribution to diabeasties.

>>> I wasn't meaning to "pick" on Mary Tyler Moore.  Yes, I agree, she's
done more than anyone else to bring attention to Type I diabetes.  What I'm
saying is, when she was younger, it would have been nice for her to advocate
like some of these other stars do.  For example, the way Jerry Lewis
advocates for MD, or some of the other stars do for AIDS, the annual
fundraiser all the Harley Riders have, even the older black gentleman, who
is it, BB King.  You see him on tv 24/7 playing his guitar advertising some
kind of blood glucose monitor.  Why can't he, while he's at it, say a few
things about Type I and how serious it is, etc., to make the general public
aware of Type I.  The media needs to be deluged with Type I info the way
some of these other diseases are and I'm just saying at one time MTM had the
media exposure to do that.  >>>

I hope we all realize BB King is being PAID (and handsomely, I suppose) for
doing those commercials. He has no control over the content of the script -
at least not to the point of freedom  of adlibbing. Those ads are not PSAs.
In defense of Mary Tyler Moore, who may not have had DM when she was
*younger* - being dx'd at 33, we could *accuse* any of the still living
high-profile DMers who are listed at:
http://www.angelarose.com/FamousDiabetics/ for not promoting enough.

It is always easy to judge others and say *they* aren't doing enough. What
about the medical people who aren't doing enough at educating themselves
about our care? I guess each has to do what each is capable of and has the
desire to do. YMMV (~_^)

We have a garden. We eat what we can and what we can't we can