[IP] Re: MTM and openness.

On 9/23/02 8:28 AM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>

> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:26:10 -0400
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Mary tyler moore, her contribution to diabeasties.
> I wasn't meaning to "pick" on Mary Tyler Moore.  Yes, I agree, she's done more
> than anyone else to bring attention to Type I diabetes.  What I'm saying is,
> when she was younger, it would have been nice for her to advocate like some of
> these other stars do.  For example, the way Jerry Lewis advocates for MD, or
> some of the other stars do for AIDS, the annual fundraiser all the Harley
> Riders have, even the older black gentleman, who is it, BB King.  You see him
> on tv 24/7 playing his guitar advertising some kind of blood glucose monitor.
> Why can't he, while he's at it, say a few things about Type I and how serious
> it is, etc., to make the general public aware of Type I.  The media needs to
> be deluged with Type I info the way some of these other diseases are and I'm
> just saying at one time MTM had the media exposure to do that.
> Tammy

Very true, but back in those days, folks were not so tolerant of the D. As I
grew up with a prematurity related eye problem, folks generally thought
"well her eyes are bad, she must be retarded as well...." stuck me into
"Special Ed" and I was even turned down for campfire girls and GSA!

Women in the entertainment business generally were paid less and had to work
harder than heck to get where they were without buying into the 'Sleep your
way to the top". Mary T Moore wasn't able to divulge and was urged not to if
she wanted to maintain a career. She may well have lost that media exposure
if she had come out with it.

Can't say that I blame her at all.

Q: What's another name for the "Intel Inside" sticker they put on Pentiums?
A: Warning label.

Jenny Sutherland